|Subscribe to Newsletter||Contact Us|
In 1949, a Mr. Edwards bought a heavily wooded property in order to
build a subdivision off LaVista Road. The property included a lake and
sawmill, located at what is presently Holly Lane, where it intersects
Christmas and North Holly Lanes. The original homestead still stands,
although greatly renovated, at the corner of Pine Tree Circle and Merry
The area was named the Merry Hills Subdivision, and the plat plan laid out streets named Christmas, Merry, Pine Tree, Reindeer, Holly, and North Holly. There were two outlets to LaVista Road and two to North Druid Hills Road. Also there were two outlets to Bramble and Jody Lanes.
All of the homes were ranch style one-story with the average lots between ¼ to ¾ acres. Many of the tall pine trees that grew up in the woods were retained to make shaded lots. Curbs and foundations were built from Stone Mountain granite. These homes were very popular and affordable to young GIs returning from service as they could be purchased using Veterans Association loans. The average home price then was about $15,000. The last home in the original 220-home Merry Hills subdivision was built in l963.
The children all attended W.D. Thomson Elementary School which stood at the southeast corner of LaVista and North Druid Hills Roads. In the 60’s, Briarcliff High School and Kittredge Elementary School were built on North Druid Hills Road. These two school buildings are currently occupied by DeKalb School of the Arts and Kittredge Magnet School. The Gatchell Home (formerly named the Gatchell School) was built in l960 at 1458 Holly Lane. Toco Hill shopping center continued its expansion at the southwest corner of LaVista and North Druid Hills Roads.
In 1999, a lot at the intersection of Holly Lane and North Druid Hills Road was subdivided into two, and a new home was added. In 2001, 41 town homes were built along LaVista Road on vacant property within the original Merry Hills subdivision boundaries, and which now comprise Weatherstone Townhomes on Wembley Court.
History of Merry Hills Homeowners Association
In 1995, neighbors in the Merry Hills subdivision joined together to form a homeowners association that was incorporated as the Merry Hills Homeowners Association in June of 1996. In 2003, the Merry Hills Homeowners Association (MHHA) expanded its boundaries to include 90 homes in the LaVista Forest subdivision on Bramble Road and Jody Lane. Reflecting a county-wide trend in infill housing, several of the original homes in the Merry Hills and LaVista Forest subdivisions have been demolished and replaced by larger homes.
In 2007, MHHA further
expanded its boundaries to include residences within the boundaries of
Briarcliff Road on the east, North Druid Hills on the north and west,
and LaVista Road on the south, adding at least 400 households to its